Sunday, October 25, 2009

Diet for a Swimmer?

I am little on the heavier side and I am thinking about doing swimming next year. I was wondering, what is a good diet to lose weight and become a faster swimmer?

I don't want any diets where you lose a bunch of weight in a short amount of time because most of the time you end up gaining it all back

what foods should I eat?
are Fats, Proteins, Carbs good to eat?
Is it ok to have a little chocolate ocasionally?
Answer:
Eat oatmeal in the morning for breakfast. Its filling, low in fat and high in protein to build muscles.

For lunch, eat something like a tuna sandwich (tuna packed in water, not oil) Its also low in fat and very high in protein. Do not use a lot of high fat mayonnaise when making your sandwich. I used mustard or fat-free mayo only

For supper, read labels and again look for low-fat, stuff. You need carbs for energy. Do not avoid them, because you are burning them off. Simple carbs like sugar you can avoid. But a good supper would be something like low-fat chili or bean burritos. Beans are low in fat. Chicken breast is low in fat and high protein too.

Swimming makes you hungry, so make sure you plan a snack. Maybe a bowl a cereal with skim milk or fruit or whatever.

You should do some weights too and some other type of exercise like biking or walking.
I'm a swimmer but when I first started to swim, My coach had us run and situps, pushups, and stretches on alternating days(running one one then pushups, etc on the other) and that got me in shape very quickly. THe thing about swimming though is that since the water is cold, swimmers will generally keep on a few layers of fat just for natural warmth, so if you're on the heavy side, swimming alone won't do it(I think, but i'm no expert).

As far as dieting goes, you've got to eat but you should eat healthier, not less. I used to eat a lot of fruit, but you should probably concentrate on carbs in the morning and protein after with lots of liquids in between.

i'm no expert though
my coach says to eat alot... but not to the point that your over weight.... start lifting weights and eat not fatty food to lose weight

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net