Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Does anyone know of a way to give up smoking other than patches or nicotine gum??

i am looking to quit and am looking for ideas.
Answer:
Allen Carr wrote a book called 'The Easyway'. It was easy and enjoyable even (empowering too). I read it three years ago and I haven't smoked since. I was recommended it by a few people over the years, I was obsessed with giving up smoking and attempted it every few days, but I thought the idea of reading a self help book ridiculous. In the end I saw it in a shop, read the back, something like "the easyway is as simple as pressing a magic button" and felt so relieved that it might be true and that it would take no effort, or rather that my giving up might not rely on my own will power (I haven't got much will power, but then, when it comes to smoking not many people do). Anyway, I read it and that was that. The day that I finished it I went to a party and got really irritated by two shoe designers and drank a bottle of wine, but I didn't even contemplate having a cigarette. Yup. God Bless Allen Carr, may he rest in peace. I think he brainwashes you or something... In any event it works and I would be amazed if you didn't give up easily and painlessly if only you read the book. I wish I had read it 10 years earlier...
Have you considered quitting cold turkey?? Hubby did and he hasn't smoked for about 8 years now. He had been a smoker since he was in high school and was probably in his early 40's when he quit.
If your brave enough go cold turkey you can buy those dummy cigarettes or if your not frightened of putting on weight eat mints or chew gum Good Luck
Lozanges
dont give up givin up, ive done it loads of times
Acupuncture or hypnosis.
Cold Turkey - Pick your day - get rid of all - including ashtrays - get lots of oranges to suck on - drink water every time you want to do it again.

Make a list of the reasons you want to stop - get booklet - Quit Smoking from the GP's surgery and read about the benefits and the nasty toxins and poisons in cigarettes and tobacco.

Be thankful you are stopping because you are choosing to stop hurting your lungs and your body not because you have to stop hurting them.

Good Luck - I think if you search on the web you will come across some good sites.
WILL POWER. If you have a family just the thought of not seeing your children have children should be enough.
I have tried the patch and the biggest problem was putting it on in the morning before lighting up. I am not preaching but I quit through prayer a year ago after smoking for 24 years and had no withdrawl. which ever way you use, just do it you will be sooooooo glad you did . I wish you the very best luck.
You could go to your GP and chat about Zyban. It's success rate is about double that of NRT. It is a prescription only drug.

It does have more side effects and some contra-indications however, notably a past history of depression.

It is an marketed, in higher doses, in the States as an antidepressant, but not in UK.

It and NRT are about the only things, besides will power that are demonstrably useful.

I am afraid acupuncture, hypnosis and herbal remedies come up little or no better than placebo.
everytime you wanna *** loook at the cigarettes and say " i dont need you in my life cuz my life is worth living" repeadtedly 10 times and after each time you say drink a glass of water. so say the message, class of water, say the messij again until you have dun it 10 times , with a small glas of water after each time youve sed it , otherwise go to your garden and bury the cigarettes and say burn in hell you cancer causing sshIte, leave me alone and enver come back cuz i am way better then you"""".......teahc your mind to be negative about cigarettes say """ my *** is hoter than ur cigaretter , so if ur *** is crap why wud i wannt it "" .... or just say "" looks i cant breathe you in anymore, i am much more better looking than you ,, id rather breathe in a ducks poohole, or you cud try saying "" you have no use in my life so leave me alone i dont need you "".... i hope u give up soo try anyway you can """" cigareetes go to hell !"!!!!
Agreed with SMARTIN . Will Powerrrrrrrrr . Don't Buy , Don't Ask , Don't Smoke , You are already spoil your health but don't damage others with more than 4000 poisons in a stick of cigarate . Care about your family first then community and don't forget to count your age too . Well it is a good trial... but I can't do that b'coz I am smooker too.... forgive me friends...
First of all set a date to start quitting.Then tell your close folks about your intention so they can support you.Go on the internet and learn more about the health and financial benefits of quitting and the health and financial disadvantages of smoking.
Then note your pattern of smoking and select an antismoking product that suits your pattern.Besides matches and gum there are nicotine cartridges and nicotine free cigarettes if you are addicted to the habit of lighting up.If you are an irregular smoker,nicotine pellets are available which you simply place under the tongue to stop cravings or you can get nicotine lozenges to suck as needed.
Lastly make an effort to discover how much life is enjoyable without smoke.You will be amazed!!
Good luck!
Step #1 is the strong desire to quit, Mine came from $30 a carton
to pay for pre pre school only on the backs of smokers

I gave a 5 pack a day habit by extending the time between smokes
and Ativan an anti anxiety drug, the other stuff was a waste of my money
Quiting is easy i do it 20 times a day
you can try taking up an extra activity or hobby so that whenever you feel the urge to smoke you can block it by doing the activity

try replacing the aptches with normal chewing gum or sweets etc.

the most important thing is willpower

winners dont quit
quitters dont win.
I discovered this accidentally:
One day, I put a full ash-tray in a drawer (to hide it, cos I was rushing). That night, I went to bed, %26 forgetting, opened the drawer. The most AWFUL smell hit me so badly, I couldn't get over it. I felt sick. I could taste the smell.

The next morning, I stopped smoking- just like that!
I couldn't go near a cigarette for a week.
(I started smoking a week later, cos I just forgot I'd given up! Then I realised I don't WANT to quit! Now, I'm confused about that, cos I know I've got will-power...)

Yeh, so my answer is: Eau-de-pongy-ashtray.
There is a good book called "Kick It", by Judy Perlmutter.It's published by Thorsons Publishing Group, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. - Book No. :ISBN 0-7225-1523-5. Effective and not expensive. I wish you the best of luck.
To be perfectly honest with you there is NO easy way.I was a smoker for 35 years, and even after being taken to hospital with breathing problems I continued to smoke (although I swore I would never smoke again) but I am afraid the ciggies always get the better of you.
Nine years later there was a lot of tragedy in my life and I lost me best two friends, I was then determined to give up and believe me it was not easy, but if you have ever been with a person that has died in your arms and seen what happens (I will not go into detail),you would give up as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
OK, I will admit I took the hard way, but if you are young and fairly fit do yourself a favour and quit and enjoy your life, life is short and ciggies will go on as long as people are prepared to pay for them.
Good Luck,and try anything if it is going to help, after all, anything is better than nothing .
there's many ways really, having a child is the way i stopped, on the other hand my father just, woke up one day and never smoked again cause he felt like it.
If you want to stop smoking, stop smoking.

Tens of millions of people have done it without patches or gum or other gizmos - it's no big deal, you just have to put up with a bit of nicotine withdrawal for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net